Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dreams

Well the wife and I have decided to pass some kind of cold/flu back and forth between each other for the past few days here. Not really sure if it was the big SWINE FLU, but here's hoping it is so that we will now have the anti-bodies.

But what really got me on here was that I've had a couple of vivid strange dreams over the last couple weeks and I wanted to write them down.

The first one involved me and Darryl; we were in an airport waiting to board, and it was very clear that we were going to Brazil. It wasn't really clear why Brazil, but I think it did have something to do with telling people about Jesus. But the details for that were definitely not worked out. So they start boarding, my ticket is scanned and we're walking down the tube to get on the plane.

But then the tube isn't just a tube, and we are in a larger airport terminal, and we've gotta hustle to get to the plane before it takes off. And the building is freaking huge and not all that well marked, but also mostly empty so we can run without looking stupid. After I get a ways away from when they scanned my ticket, I realize that I don't have my wallet or keys. I must have still had my ID because I wasn't worried about that, and I did have my phone. But I realized that my phone wasn't going to do me a bit of good because I'm going to Brazil and Verizon doesn't work there. So I just shrug my shoulders and press on trying to get to the plane, because I figure I don't need my wallet or keys. Which is weird for me because normally I would freak out about that and maybe even wake up, but I think the fact that I freaked for just a minute and then said "oh well" confirms that I was going to Brazil to just tell people about Jesus, and what the heck would I need money or keys to stuff in the States for?

So we're running through this terminal trying to find the plane, and a couple times we almost get lost and I don't think we're going to find it. But after going up some stairs and around some very strange architecture we find a room with a bunch of people that are going to Brazil, and we can see the plane through the window. Sweet.

The room with the people turns out to be set up kinda lecture style, and I realize that it's a bunch of people about the same age as me and its like a neighborhood association meeting only they are near the end of a long and involved conversation about racial reconciliation. And I just have enough time to realize this when we start getting on the plane and I wake up.

Now. I had this dream like two weeks ago and I still remember most of it, which is weird. I did tell some people at work an abbreviated version of it the day of though, which I think helped it stick. But I don't know where the heck Brazil came from. The closest thing I can think of is that Darryl's wife lived there for a while. But our wives weren't with us in my dream. I've been to Bolivia and that was alright but I don't know quite what to think.


And then about a week after that I had another maybe related dream. This time it was me and David (my youngest brother) and we were out in the bush in some third world village in the southern hemisphere. That's all the detail I had on the location on this one. So me and David were hanging out with the tribal people, doing whatever. Specifically then we were hanging out in one of the huts, only it was like a dorm room because we were up on top of bunk beds and there were a bunch of us in there. Just hanging out and shooting the breeze. David is talking and he's gesturing wildly or something and then he falls off of the bed. And somehow he just does a face plant without bracing his fall at all and lands right on his forehead. Knocks him out cold.

So I hop down to see if he's OK, and we decide that he'll be fine. Just knocked him out for a bit. And at that moment I've apparently got to leave for a few weeks to take care of some business, or go preach in another village, I'm not really sure. When I get back at the end of that trip David had undergone quite the transformation. The fall apparently erased his memory completely, and he is now one of the tribe. Loin cloth, dirt all over himself, spear, speaking another language. And he doesn't recognize me as his brother at all. But I see that he is much happier. He's doing quite well for himself in his new life and all of the anger and resentment he had at our dad (and me) is erased and it is as if it never happened for him. It's sad for me and our mom that he doesn't recognize us, but we see that its probably for the best. And then I wake up.


So, I don't know if they mean anything, but they are interesting. And I swear, this was well before I got sick and I had not been drinking the night before. So where's the interpreter?

2 comments:

Phil said...

B.A. Baracus

Er, I mean Be A Missionary. Maybe that's the interpretation. Though, I have no gift of interpretation, so don't listen to me.

Missed seeing you guys at church. Hope you feel better soon.

Unknown said...

I dunno sounds, interesting,

I am not above giving a crackpot answer so here it goes.

Sounds like that group represents your "plane"=way to get to where you are going(=?Brazil), but only after you/Darryl have looked awhile, and start to get discouraged that it is not going to happen.. Sounds pretty conditional...and if the dream is to be believed you have to run, search, leave things behind, look stupid, and enter a new group to get there.

And lets hope "a new day" comes to David's life, although falling on your face and completely changing your life sounds a little traumatic to all parties, but I guess forewarned is forearmed.

then again it could just be ice-cream you did not say if you had eaten a lot of sugar.

btw tx for the other email it reminded me to check your blog.