Monday, December 15, 2008

East v. West

Portland Sch. Dist. - Schools west of Willamette River CLOSED; Schools east of Willamette River OPEN, buses on snow routes UPDATE (Effective tomorrow - Tue Dec 16th)

This was my brothers reaction to this news: It's because rich people are smarter and more beautiful than us.

It's things like this that contribute to perception of inequity between the east and the west side, and feeds the east side's inferiority complex. Nevermind the legitimate topographical reasons for this decision. (i assume) The perception is that the damn rich kids are getting a day off while the poor schmucks are stuck slaving away in the factories.

4 comments:

Dave Ketah said...

Yeah, I'm inclined to attribute it to topography. Also, it won't be a day off, just a day deferred until the end of the regularly scheduled school year.

At the same time, I do not fail to see how this does draw some line of differentiation for those looking to feel divided, segregated, or marginalized.

Luke of Hazard said...

And Isaac was definitely being sarcastic. But there is definitely an element of truth in the sarcasm, at least with that being the perception. A similar reaction ran through my mind before I thought about topography.

I will be real curious to see if the West does indeed get a day tagged on at the end of the year that the east does not. I'm highly doubtful.

Dave Ketah said...

If they don't, that just means they will be one day of education less educated.

Kathi said...

We're still doing school - even though the neighborhood kids have now been out of school for 3 days. I have a feeling that they will be out all week. So, that's 5 unscheduled days off of school.

When I was a kid if the schools closed for weather, days were added on to the end of the year, no questions asked. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

My kids have been complaining that they shouldn't have to do school since their friends aren't. I tell them that they don't have to take a bus to school, so school's still on. Plus, they'll be that much smarter than their friends. :-) (Just kidding. Really)