Wednesday, May 28, 2008

also,

It appears that I may have to buy a new lappy sooner rather than later. The slowness is making me crazy, and it has to be plugged in, and the CD drive is kaput. But I've gotten three good years of use out of it, and it was a christmas present. It is a Dell inspiron model, and I'm kinda inclined to buy another one. I have found it to be reliable, and it doesn't do so much that I'm tempted to get into new ways to waste my time. And also, apparently you can buy a new Dell right now and still get WinXP, which sounds like the thing to do to me. Definitely looking at the under 700 price range. Thoughts?

4 comments:

Isaac said...

If your computer never leaves your desk, you could just get a desktop for really cheap. Then you could upgrade it yourself.

A Dell would be OK, it's going to come with lots of junk you have to take off though. I'm guessing that you're a pretty un-demanding customer, you want your computer to type things and use firefox and play music. So anything that you can find on sale or clearance is going to fit your needs. The main thing to remember is to just uncheck the little boxes when you install things that say "start this program when windows starts", or "install our toolbar!" so your computer doesn't start running all slow again. And also don't fall asleep and break it.

Dave Ketah said...

Don't buy a Sony!!!

Luke of Hazard said...

It appears to have been an ISP issue last night that was causing me to pull my hair out. ESPN would load, but not oregonlive, google would load, but not the ethnos forum. It was like half the internet was out! But I can never rule out this machine as the problem. I'd like to make it til August before buying. It looks like 600 is a feasible number for a good machine, I'm thinking Intel duel core is the way to go? And I think I need laptop capacity for grad school usage, though otherwise I would be looking for a desktop.

Unknown said...

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop soon also. Agreed with the going crazy from the slowness.
Perhaps we can buy in bulk? ;)