Thursday, September 18, 2008

More bailouts? seriously?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/18/AR2008091804200.html?hpid=topnews

Really?

I mean really?

What the hell. I am disgusted and upset. I think I might even try to call Gordon or Ron tomorrow. This cannot be. No more. The market must be allowed to run it's course, or no one will learn. It's time for change, and a 2nd depression would undoubtedly suck in many ways but if we keep trying to put band-aids on it, the collapse is only going to be more violent when it does happen. Take some pain now. Do it for your children. This is ridiculous.

Edit:
Alright, I emailed them both, and I encourage ya'll to do the same:

OK, I'm reading a lot in the news about a mess on Wall Street, and also a lot about the government bailing out companies, injecting money, changing rules and forgiving debt. I beg of you please don't. Let the market run it's course or people will never learn.

I know you guys don't like to let bad things happen on your watch, and I can relate to that. But please, I feel that there are some fundamental things wrong with the system and putting band-aids on the problem and rewarding those that have made mistakes bred of greed is not good for America. We cannot afford it, postponing the lesson will only make it more painful.

I don't pretend to know what will happen either way, but I am legitimately frightened for the future of this country for the first time in my 27 years. I beg you to do anything and everything in your power to prevent the government from covering mistakes that Wall Street has made.

We can recover from anything, lets start that recovery now. This is a chance to close the gap between the rich and the poor, and set everyone's priorities a little straighter. Thank you for listening, please prevent any more bailouts.

Edit 2: and i sent it to Earl too.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

good work, luke. I'm all for another depression... sometimes we all need to learn the hard way.

Paulos said...

I sent Smith a letter to let him know I don't support these bail outs, they should be focusing on saving people's homes not banks